Can dogs eat grapes – Foods to Avoid Feeding ur Pets

Can Dogs Eat Grapes or Raisins?

Can dogs eat grapes – Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets

Can Dogs Eat Grapes or Raisins? No, dogs cannot eat peeled or seedless grapes or raisins—which are dried grapes—and they are not safe in any amount. The exact cause of toxicity in dogs after they ingest a grape is not known, nor is the amount. Some dogs may suffer more severe reactions than others.

Our Animal Poison Control Center experts have put together a handy list of the top toxic people foods to avoid feeding your pet. As always, if you suspect your pet has eaten any of the following foods, please note the amount ingested and contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.

1. Alcohol

Alcoholic beverages and food products containing alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma, and even death. Under no circumstances should your pet be given any alcohol. If you suspect that your pet has ingested alcohol, contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center immediately.

2. Avocado

Avocado is primarily a problem for birds, rabbits, donkeys, horses, and ruminants including sheep and goats. The biggest concern is cardiovascular damage and death in birds and rabbits. Horses, donkeys, and ruminants frequently get swollen, edematous head and neck.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes or Raisins
Can Dogs Eat Grapes or Raisins

3. Chocolate, Coffee and Caffeine

These products all contain substances called methylxanthines, which are found in cacao seeds, the fruit of the plant used to make coffee, and in the nuts of an extract used in some sodas. When ingested by pets, methylxanthines can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, and even death.

Note that darker chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate. White chocolate has the lowest level of methylxanthines, while baking chocolate contains the highest.

Why do female dogs hump?

4. Citrus

The stems, leaves, peels, fruit, and seeds of citrus plants contain varying amounts of citric acid, essential oils that can cause irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression if ingested in significant amounts. Small doses, such as eating the fruit, are not likely to present problems beyond minor stomach upset.

5. Coconut and Coconut Oil

When ingested in small amounts, coconut and coconut-based products are not likely to cause serious harm to your pet. The flesh and milk of fresh coconuts do contain oils that may cause stomach upset, loose stools, or diarrhea. Because of this, we encourage you to use caution when offering your pets these foods. Coconut water is high in potassium and should not be given to your pet.

6. Can Dogs eat grapes and Raisins

Although the toxic substance within grapes and raisins is unknown, these fruits can cause kidney failure. Until more information is known about the toxic substance, it is best to avoid feeding grapes and raisins to dogs.

Dog food
Can Dogs eat grapes and Raisins?

7. Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors, and hyperthermia in dogs. Signs usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion and can last approximately 24 to 48 hours.

8. Milk and Dairy

Because pets do not possess significant amounts of lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk), milk and other dairy-based products cause them diarrhea or other digestive upset.

9. Nuts

Nuts, including almonds, pecans, and walnuts, contain high amounts of oils and fats. The fats can cause vomiting and diarrhea, and potentially pancreatitis in pets.

10. Onions, Garlic, Chives

These vegetables and herbs can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage and anemia. Although cats are more susceptible, dogs are also at risk if a large enough amount is consumed. 

11. Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs and Bones

Raw meat and raw eggs can contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli that can be harmful to pets and humans. Raw eggs contain an enzyme called avidin that decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin), which can lead to skin and coat problems.

Feeding your pet raw bones may seem like a natural and healthy option that might occur if your pet lived in the wild. However, this can be very dangerous for a domestic pet, who might choke on bones, or sustain a grave injury should the bone splinter and become lodged in or puncture your pet’s digestive tract.

12. Salt and Salty Snack Foods

Large amounts of salt can produce excessive thirst and urination, or even sodium ion poisoning in pets. Signs that your pet may have eaten too many salty foods include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, seizures, and even death. As such, we encourage you to avoid feeding salt-heavy snacks like potato chips, pretzels, and salted popcorn to your pets. 

13. Xylitol

Xylitol is used as a sweetener in many products, including gum, candy, baked goods, and toothpaste. It can cause insulin release in most species, which can lead to liver failure. The increase in insulin leads to hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels). Initial signs of toxicosis include vomiting, lethargy, and loss of coordination. Signs can progress to seizures. Elevated liver enzymes and liver failure can be seen within a few days.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes or Raisins?
Can Dogs Eat Grapes or Raisins?

14. Yeast Dough

Yeast dough can rise and cause gas to accumulate in your pet’s digestive system. This can be painful and can cause the stomach to bloat, and potentially twist, becoming a life-threatening emergency. The yeast produces ethanol as a by-product and a dog ingesting raw bread dough can become drunk (See alcohol).

What should I do if my dog eats grapes or raisons? If you suspect that your pet has eaten any of these fruits, contact your veterinarian, Pet Poison Helpline or an animal poison control service immediately.            

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435

Can a single grape kill a dog

Grapes may be small, but the tiny fruit is so toxic for dogs that eating just one or two grapes could put your pet in serious danger. … Canines shouldn’t be noshing on raisins or grapes regardless, but ingesting a single grape won’t harm a Great Dane like it will a tiny Chihuahua.

Eating Just One Grape Could Damage Your Dog’s Kidneys, Vets Warn. Grapes can be toxic to some dogs and must be avoided. … Symptoms some dogs show after eating grapes or raisins can include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, lack of appetite, and difficulty urinating, according to a 2002 “Animal Watch” report from the society.

A typical grape weighs 2 – 5g, making a toxic dose is around 4 grapes per kg. So if a 5kg terrier eats 20 grapes, or a 30kg Labrador eats 120 grapes, there’s a high chance of a serious problem, and veterinary intervention is definitely indicated. The lowest poisonous dose in confirmed cases has been around 3g/kg.

How long after eating grapes will a dog get sick?

24-48 hours: If dogs are sensitive to grapes and they ingest a toxic amount, the first symptoms are usually vomiting and diarrhea. These symptoms will usually develop within 24-48 hours of ingestion and there may be grape/raisin residue in the vomitus and/or stool.

How To Train A Dog To Poop Outside

Conclusion:

Even one grape can make a dog sick no matter their size, age, and overall health. Eating just one grape, however, may produce less severe symptoms of grape toxicity than eating several. The more grapes a dog has eaten relative to their body weight, the more danger they are in.

When we talk about grapes (of any color and including seedless), we are also talking about raisins, currants, and grape juice. These fruits contain toxins that can poison your dog and potentially cause acute kidney failure and even death in 72 hours or less.

Not all dogs are going to be affected by grapes or raisins in the same way. There have been plenty of reports of some dogs eating only a very small handful of grapes and raisins and being poisoned, so it’s obvious that some dogs are going to be incredibly sensitive to the toxic substance in grapes.

Can dogs eat grapes – Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets

Leave a Reply